Christian Science Nursing
Christian Science nursing, an expression of the ever-present divine Comforter, is central to Tenacre’s ministry. As dedicated Christian Scientists, we have committed ourselves to demonstrating this healing outreach in accord with Mary Baker Eddy’s By-Law in the Church Manual (Page 49, Article VIII, Section 31), which states:
Christian Science Nurse. Sect. 31. A member of The Mother Church who represents himself or herself as a Christian Science nurse shall be one who has a demonstrable knowledge of Christian Science practice, who thoroughly understands the practical wisdom necessary in a sick room, and who can take proper care of the sick.
The cards of such persons may be inserted in The Christian Science Journal under rules established by the publishers.
Church Manual (Page 49, Article VIII, Section 31)
Christian Science nurses are available 24 hours a day to provide gentle, loving care in a peaceful environment where there is expectation of and support toward healing. Individuals who are relying on God through their study of Christian Science and who would like the assistance of a Christian Science nurse either here at Tenacre or in their homes are welcome to give us a call. Our applications include a description of what is expected of our Guests and what services are and are not provided by Christian Science nurses at Tenacre.
Tenacre offers the services of Christian Science nurses in a variety of settings on our campus, the majority of which provide private accommodations. These settings are Willow, Cedar, Rose, Ivy, Juniper and Holly. During the application process we work with each prospective Guest and his/her family and/or Health Care Proxy to determine which of these settings might best meet the individual’s need. We have worked diligently not to categorize those who come to Tenacre for the support of Christian Science nurses by the problem they are facing; we have found this approach to bring a greater sense of freedom and flexibility.
Our basic daily rate for every Christian Science nursing guest room is $150 and includes:
- One or more Christian Science nurses present 24 hours a day
- Furnished room and meals
- Basic personal care supplies
- Activities such as attending programs in the on site chapel, services in a local branch Church of Christ, Scientist, daily reading of the Christian Science Bible Lesson, car trips, arts and crafts and baking projects
- Use of the resources available through Tenacre’s Spiritual Resource Library
- A room equipped with a five-channel audio system featuring reading of the weekly Christian Science Bible Lesson each day on the hour; progressive reading of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy 24 hours a day; hymns, solos and religious music 24 hours a day; recordings of Christian Science lectures, talks, biographies, periodicals, Bible study and Prose Works by Mrs. Eddy are aired throughout the day and night; and Sunday Services and live events from our Chapel, such as concerts or hymn sings.
In addition to the $150 basic daily rate, each hour of care given by a Christian Science nurse is billed at $35 an hour.
Financial Assistance applications are available. Click to request one by email and leave “Christian Science Nursing Financial Assistance Application Request” in the Subject line.
Residential rates vary depending on the services provided and we are happy to discuss this option at any time.
For more information:
call either 609-921-8900 or 800-626-9155 and ask for Christian Science Nursing Services – or send us an email at email@example.com and leave “Inquiry from Website” in the Subject line.
To send us an Admission Application:
- Right-click here, select “Save link as…” (or “Save target as…” if using Internet Explorer) and save the interactive application to your computer.
- Minimize your browser – do not open the downloaded application form from your browser.
- Find the application form on your computer and open it with Acrobat Reader. Only Adobe Reader will save the information you type into the form. (To download and install the free Adobe Reader, visit: http://get.adobe.com/reader).
- Fill it out and save your changes.
- Go back to your browser to these instructions.
- Click here to securely upload the completed application form to us. (Another option is to print and mail the completed form, or fax it. Our address and fax number are at the bottom of this page.)